Friday, November 21, 2014

Coffee - Treat or Necessity? And some tips on cutting back if you need them….

Looking back I can pinpoint exactly where my relationship with coffee began, I had just started my first job in London after graduating university. Every morning I would stop off at a Starbucks and pick up my coffee and my cheese filled pastry (yup I really did eat this every day!!) before I went to my office. I took comfort in the ritual and the continuity of this routine as I navigated myself through the unknowns and insecurities of my first job, how to integrate, make work relationships and try and be successful.

Having once upon a time enjoyed coffee as a treat this new routine of mine turned it into something else….a morning habit.

My mornings would revolve around this new routine and on weekends I would have to ensure that whatever I was doing I would be able to incorporate coffee into the morning. The habit evolved and suddenly it couldn’t be just any coffee. No it had to be Starbucks. Eventually I had a new routine added to my morning coffee - the 3pm afternoon coffee routine. That 3pm coffee trip became a way to boost a bit of energy, pop out of the office for five minutes and perhaps a social walk with a colleague. 

I had a rule though that I lived by - I never had more than two cups of coffee a day. So I felt ok about my caffeine consumption. But we’ve all seen the size of the venti cup in Starbucks haven’t we, that bad boy is basically 4 cups in one! I used to joke that if I was ever pregnant giving up alcohol wouldn’t even be an issue for me but the thought of giving up my beloved caffeine upset me! Spoiler alert, when I was pregnant I did give up coffee relatively easily when you're thinking about someone else's health rather than your own. Clearly I was addicted but I just loved my routine so much I couldn’t imagine letting it go.

The word on the street aka formal research, on caffeine is probably one of the most confusing topics with people genuinely unsure if coffee is ok for you or as bad and addictive as crack. There are definitely polarized views out there and if you wanted to do you own research you can easily find arguments for a coffee free life or a life with coffee.

Coffee does have health benefits, but it also hinders major bodily functions such as increasing stress hormones and elevating your perception of stress. That’s why some of us get an adrenaline kick with coffee or may even feel their heart race and get sweaty palms. Caffeine can raise blood pressure which is linked to heart disease as well as leading to psychological reactions that can cause irritability, agitation and an inability to fall asleep. It also can cause inflammation within the body and can play a detrimental effect if you are trying to get pregnant.

Before you throw away your membership to Starbucks or your Nespresso machine remember that we all have very different bodily responses to caffeine, some of us are sensitive and others can consume a lot with seemingly no impact. Think about your personal circumstances when deciding if you consume too much caffeine. Do you have trouble falling and staying asleep? Are you tired but feel edgy or wired? Do you sweat excessively, have heart palpitations or mood swings? Does your eye ever twitch or other muscles? All of these are symptoms that you probably have worn your adrenal glands out and that you should definitely cut back if not cut out the caffeine.

Consumption of coffee is such a personal choice because I understand how my psychology was wrapped up in my own coffee intake. But given this is detox week I will say that the best place to be as a coffee drinker is in the treat category. If you are honestly in the necessity column you don’t need to jump to cut it out of your life but try and move yourself to a place where it becomes a treat.

For me on detox week caffeine is out and that’s fine by me. Coffee was one of the first things that became truly repulsive to me taste wise once I was into chemo and radiation. On top of that I couldn’t imagine putting something into my fragile body that would make my depleted organs and cells have to work even harder in looking after me so I could get beyond the cancer. My immune system needs all the help it can get at the moment and coffee just doesn’t play an additive role in that.

I doubt that I am off coffee forever though, in a normal world for me I like the taste but detoxing has at least allowed myself to move from the necessity column into the treat category. And that is where I plan to stay.

Some tips for cutting back or out on coffee
  • Don’t go cold turkey one day. You will probably struggle and be less likely to succeed
  • Substitute your morning coffee for hot water and lemon, it will help reducing your caffeine craving as well as having amazing detox benefits in itself
  • Keep herbal drinks everywhere, home, in your bag and in the office. If you have a craving try having a hot herbal tea first (a close friend gave me this tip a while ago and it works!)
  • Drink more water, it’s important to stay hydrated anyway but can help with alertness if you are cutting back or out on coffee
  • Exercise and eat well. Exercise gives you a natural high from endorphins. Non processed food will give you energy, so eat more of the right stuff and you will feel better

1 comment:

  1. This is really interesting. My eye started twitching just a few weeks ago. I put it down to general tiredness and staring at screens but the link to caffeine makes considerably more sense as I have definitely upped my intake recently. A clear sign that its finally time to put down the paper cup and fill my bag with herbal teas and lemons instead. Some super tips here, thanks Petrina!!

    ReplyDelete