Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Lets Talk Lemons!

This week and beyond I will be incorporating something incredibly simple but with BIG detoxing powers into my routine. Lemon and hot water in the morning. It is pretty well known that lemons are so amazing for you, in fact I think I read more online articles about them then anything else (well maybe the avocado but you can't diss the avocado). Lemons in fact are perhaps becoming the media darling of the fruit world - over exposed. But there is no denying how much they help your body naturally detox which is what we are all about this week.

Lemons create an alkalizing effect in the body which reduces the acidity and pH level of the blood, therefore helping in reducing body inflammation. So straight away they target two of the main culprits of a compromised immune system. Not only do they take down the baddies working on undermining our health but they give us a big vitamin C boost that support us in fighting infections. The liver and lemons are great buddies too - the liver just loves the lemon coming to town and stimulating it to dissolve toxins that have built up and help clear them out. Because toxins are being flushed out of your blood this can have a knock on effect to clearing up any skin issues that you may have and reducing wrinkles.

Big news for those of us with cancer, but hugely applicable to everyone looking to stave off cancer which I am assuming is pretty much everyone - in research lemon has been shown to stop cancer cell division and slow growth of cancer cells. In very simple terms the decision of the cell to divide or die is altered by the lemon juice.

Having lemon in the morning with hot water can replace your caffeine habit allowing you to keep the ritual of a hot drink in the AM, which may help on the psychological side of drinking caffeine but the drink itself has been known to reduce cravings.

In summary there are more benefits that I could go into but for the purpose of detox week these are some of my key highlights. I drink my lemon and hot water first thing in the morning and to get the maximum benefit I wait 20 minutes before consuming any food.

You know what they say...when life gives you lemons, make hot lemon water! 

No comments:

Post a Comment