My Ultimate Health Project is a response to my diagnosis and treatment of cancer that I have been undergoing in 2014. My treatment plan has formally concluded but I must wait 12 weeks before my PET scan which will determine if the treatment has been successful and if I am in remission. The alternative is not a scenario I want to spend too much time pondering.
The diagnosis and treatment has mentally and physically depleted me. It starts off mentally with the diagnosis and then as the chemo and radiation kicked my ass (hard) and as basic functions like the ability to walk / stand and brush my teeth became near impossible, my mental state was taken down a further few notches. Suddenly things that you took for granted you can no longer do. Walking exhausted me, tying my shoelaces impossible, brushing my teeth non existent. I had been the girl who would get up at 5am to workout without fail everyday and then walk to work just to get some more in. Now I couldn't even shower. It's a humbling, humbling place to be in when you realize how incredible your body is and how much you ask of it.
My Ultimate Health Project is about regenerating myself mentally and physically over a 12 week period. It's about being grateful to my mind and my body for allowing me to live a life and do things that I never want to take for granted again. This project is about presence not perfection. I don't want to strive to be perfect, i just want to be there for new opportunities while life is happening experience and experience it.
Some rules of the road…
1 My Ultimate Health Project is 12 weeks long commencing on Monday 17th November
2 Each of the weeks will have a theme related to mental or physical wellbeing that will attribute to my overall health. Each week I will explore that theme on my blog
3 One of the things that I do when exploring the weekly theme must be completely new and something that I have never done before
4 Exercise will run concurrently through the 12 week period and not be an independent theme. The objective for this is to regain physical strength, endurance and muscle that has been lost through surgery, chemo and radiation. This is absolutely NOT about losing weight. I will be following Kayla Laitsines 12 week program. Details can be found at http://www.kaylaitsines.com.au
5 Anyone can suggest themes or topics for me to explore or people to connect with - I am open
And that's really it. The rest will figure itself out as I get going. There was a time for a while while I was having treatment that I could never have imagined making it this far. That my body would be able to be used to help restore me to health. I am so grateful that I am in a position to be able to do this and hopefully show and inspire others that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Hopefully the light at the end of my 12 week Ultimate Health Project will be remission but I am going to make sure that the journey to whatever destination I end up at is pretty awesome.
No comments:
Post a Comment