Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Yoga in Detox Week

A component of the next 12 weeks is to try one thing that is new that relates to each weekly theme. With that in mind yoga was my new thing for detox week. 

I've always wanted to get into yoga and incorporate it into my fitness routine but it just never happened. Time is limited and a sweat fest cardio or hard core resistance training session would always win over picking yoga. Honestly deep down if I admit it yoga would always be the loser because it was new to me and not something I was good at. I would psyche myself out of going to a class worried that I would be wearing the wrong thing (no joke!) or I wouldn't get the poses and movements and would stick out as a newbie like a sore thumb. Never did I stop and think that once upon a time I had been new to all the physical activities that I was now pretty good at and that we all have to have a starting point. Nope. Instead I just perceived yoga as this intimidating, yet glamorous world that I did not have membership for. Always jealous of my friends who are full on advocates of their practice.

How insane is all of that chatter that was going on in my head?! I promise you if you met me I am a very rationale person. Reflecting on this taught me a couple of things. Firstly after cancer and cancer treatment if being laughed out of a class ever happened to me (and it wouldn't) then it wouldn't be the worst thing in my life nor important. Secondly I made decisions based on fear and concern of what people thought of me - a hard thing to admit out loud. Finally I over think certain things. 

As soon as my lovely friends found out Week 1 of My Ultimate Health Project was all about detoxing the yoga suggestions came flooding in. So doing yoga this week was about detoxing, trying something new but also about realizing that psyching yourself out over anything is ultimately the worst thing ever that you can do for your health. Plus listening to those lovely friends who are very wise!

I went to Pure Yoga in NYC which gave me a lovely warm feeling reminiscing about living in Hong Kong and going to Pure as a gym - happy days, good start! No one needs me to go into the details of the class blow by blow, we all get what goes on, I won't insult you. What I genuinely did not expect was that my mind completely switched off and engaged in what was happening. I focussed on my breathing and poses and being connected to what my body was doing. My mind didn't have time for anything else. It was so calming. Yet I sweated, not tons but my body was certainly moving, engaging muscles and stretched in a way that was hugely beneficial after being a physical weakling from my treatment. I felt mentally rejuvenated, absolutely no exaggeration and that was only one class, I am totally convinced of the cumulative benefit physically and mentally of a continued practice. Which is essentially what my friends have been telling me all this time! I'm just glad I managed to get out of my own way to be able to experience it myself, finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment