Life has evolved, not just around what I eat and drink but the way that I view this period. Having lived in several different countries now I have a different appreciation for cultural perspective. It's become a period of time for great gratitude for me, reflecting on all that I have and all those that I have in my life. When you break it down it's really the people that you have around you that make up Christmas. Those people whoever they may be that you create your memories and traditions with that make this period simply so special. The food, drink, parties become figures of association that we develop around Christmas. What is truly the most rewarding is the people that we have with us at this time.
Which is why as much as the holiday period is a time of great joy and celebrating, for many of us it is also a time of immense loneliness and loss for others. People who have lost loved ones, who don't have the same reciprocal love in their lives. I don't discount these people or undermine how difficult Christmas is for others but at this juncture and for the purpose of this week I simply try to come from a place of gratitude and deep appreciation for all that I have. I take nothing for granted.
This year in particular has special significance for me. It is my son's first christmas and our first together as a little family unit of 3. It was also a timeline milestone for me when I was going through my treatment for cancer. All my Drs used the carrot of Christmas to keep me motivated to keep going when all I wanted to do was curl up into a ball and give up. Christmas they assured me would be the time when I felt most like my old self. So I kept going, I have kept going and finally this time is here and I get to create new and wonderful memories with all the people who have supported me on this journey.
What is my objective this week?
No comments:
Post a Comment