Monday, December 1, 2014

My Ultimate Health Project - Week 3 - Home Cooking


This week is all about home cooking and it's not as twee at you think it is. This whole project for me is about regaining my physical and mental well being after cancer treatment. Food is a huge component of this journey, ergo, what I am eating and how I am preparing it has ramifications on how I feel. There is a huge distinction between what is prepared and cooked for you outside of your own home and what you cook yourself. Home cooking is the cornerstone of any healthy lifestyle. Whatever your own particular health goal may be, if you don’t start with spending more of your time cooking you are never going to gain more energy / lose weight / sleep better and it will be hard to fully support any dietary requirements that you have full-time. If cancer is your current lifestyle it’s even more crucial to have accountability and control for exactly what you’re putting into your body.

I am super passionate about home cooking now but didn’t always used to be. Mine was a typical story of a busy social life combined with eating out multiple times a week and a lack of understanding around health and nutrition. It wasn’t until I made a concerted effort to lose the weight that I could just never shift (even though I exercised all the time) that I began to cook my own food. Quickly I had realized to lose weight I needed to be better educated as well as in control of what I was eating. So I had to do it myself.

It didn’t take long to feel the benefits of home cooking. The quality  and source of my ingredients were higher than eating out, the way in which the food was prepared and cooked fitting with a healthy lifestyle and the portions all managed by myself were correct. I was getting more nutrients and vitamins by choosing my meal compositions, eating less fat and salt and I lost weight easily and had more energy. One of the surprising benefits was the relief I felt mentally at not having to make any decisions over food throughout the day. Because it was all planned out already I never had to think about what I would eat for lunch and where I would get it from. My work day got a whole lot easier reserving brain power for decisions that were a lot more complex than what to have for lunch.

After introducing home cooking whenever I have wavered from the path I have always felt it health wise. It’s not realistic for me to assume that I will never eat out again, and there will always be times in my life where I am unable to cook at home;  and I am fine with that. But nothing resets me quite like cooking my own food. It’s not fancy but it’s healthy and supports my own personal health goals.

So what is my objective this week?

It’s straight forward for once! I want to feel the health benefits of home cooking. Everything that I eat this week will be food that supports my personal cancer journey and has been prepared and cooked at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment