Toxins were a topic that I explored at the very beginning of this project in Week 1. Back in that week I was focussed on detoxing, the process by which I would expel toxin accumulation in my body given the trauma that I had experienced. Environmental toxins are such a crucial topic for us all to be knowledgable on and something so fundamental for me to support myself regaining physical strength that they warrant a week for themselves in my project.
This was a subject that I had only relatively recently become interested in and found (like many topics) that the more knowledgable I became, the more my eyes opened and I couldn't look at certain things in the same way again. I became even more conscious when my son arrived and didn't want to be subjecting him to unnecessary toxin exposure in his environment. When diagnosed with cancer my research became very specific to understanding what changes I could make in my lifestyle outside of food, nutrition, mental health and exercise that would support my body healing itself. Through my research specific to toxins I have discovered some startling facts as they relate to cancer. There are over 100 different types of cancer and 1,500 people a day die from the disease in the United States. I couldn't even comprehend that figure - 1,500 people a day just in the USA? More worryingly is that there is general consensus that many cancers are preventable and exposure to environmental toxins can lead to the development of cancer.
This exposure can occur at home, in the workplace, through the products that you buy and use in your everyday life as well as your lifestyle choices. It's important to be aware and educated around these toxins and the impact to your health so you can make your own decisions of changes that you feel appropriate to make.
Now that my cancer treatment has concluded my focus is firmly on anything that will increase my changes of being in remission come February 2015.
So what's my objective this week?
Week 4 in contrast to Week 1 will focus specifically on where toxins are present in everyday life and the ramifications on health rather than how you detox your body.
If I have not made appropriate changes already to avoid environmental toxin exposure then I will determine how best to make changes to minimize risk to my health.
No comments:
Post a Comment