Monday, December 15, 2014

My Ultimate Health Project - Week 5 - Gluten Free


Out of all the things that I have experimented with in my diet and done for sustained periods of time eliminating gluten just hasn't really been one of them. Sure I have opted for gluten free options on occasions and where available but never with any continuity. Mainly because I have never felt that I have a sensitivity to gluten have I felt the need to cut it out of my diet.

So I am coming into this week as a total novice, unlike the other weeks that have preceded it where I have known a little about the topic beforehand this is all completely new to me. 

My unsophisticated knowledge of gluten is that it is the term applied to proteins that are found in wheat, barley and rye (I believe there may also be more....). As our food has changed over the years and we have moved to a more processed or manufactured diet gluten has become what I call a "stealth" ingredient. Something that is found in products that you wouldn't natural assume it would be present in. Things like salad dressing, soups and beer. 

Individuals have varying levels of sensitivity to gluten that present different symptoms. At the very severe end is celiac disease where an immune response is mounted against the small intestine. Celiac disease is an auto immune disease. 

So what's my objective this week?

For 7 days I plan to go totally gluten free and document how I react and feel.

My focus will be on consuming foods that are naturally gluten free such as whole foods, vegetables etc rather than consumed products that have been produced gluten free i.e gluten free pasta. This is unlikely to be possible for all the 7 days but I am going to try.

Form an opinion of what it is like to live in NYC and be gluten free.

Understand the benefits to overall health by going gluten free.








No comments:

Post a Comment