Saturday, January 3, 2015

Excess baggage

2015 is now underway.

I've spent a lot of time reflecting on 2014. It was a big year for me for a variety of reasons and as I was looking forward to 2015 and thinking about my year ahead something occurred to me. I realized I had a lot of negative emotions associated with my year and that it pretty much translated into excess baggage for me. 

We carry a lot of baggage around with us on a daily basis, how we view ourselves, how we think other people view us, a variety of emotions and our responses to traumatic events that have occurred to us. Traumatic events don't need to be dramatic events like cancer or having a child. They can be things like falling out with a close friend or not getting a promotion at work. They are events that upset the equilibrium in our worlds, that unsettling us and make us slightly unsure of who we are.

It is really easy to let this baggage follow us around and weigh us down. Eventually it starts to redefine who we are and shape our outlook. Moving into a new year is a perfect time to draw a line under any excess baggage. Goodness knows I've had my fair share. But it's freeing and empowering to leave it all behind, to turn the new page and recognize that this year doesn't have to be defined by what has come before it. Get a new perspective. See things from a different angle. Anything is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment