Whilst I haven't always been consistent in terms of writing towards the end of my project this week's delay was a deliberate act of delay allowing for me to really reflect on some of my experiences over the last 12 weeks.
I started this project 12 weeks ago to address the fact that I no longer felt like myself anymore having gone through my particular cancer treatment. It was to rebuild myself mentally and physically but probably on some level to feel like I could be back in control of my own health journey and it's destiny. Whilst it was unsaid at the time it was also because I wanted something to do and focus on for 12 weeks to keep me occupied before I found out if my treatment has been successful.
These are my top 10 reflections (and there were many but in an attempt to be concise it was whittled down!)
- You're the architect of your own life. You have to take an active role in your own life and circumstances. If you don't like something change it, if you can't change it alter your perception to it. People whine a lot I've observed.
- Happiness is a choice and comes from living in the present moment. Not the past or the future, what is happening in the here and now is real and where you can derive happiness.
- Start and finish every day with gratitude. Gratitude is all about perception.
- Changing my diet (which was pretty good before) and when I ate completely revolutionized how my body felt and my energy levels.
- Exercise is the foundation for a healthy body and mind.
- Don't ever quit anything because it's hard. Ever. You usually find out some really interesting stuff about you, your life and the universe at that point in time.
- You're way stronger than you think you are. It is amazing what we can actually do. You have to challenge and push yourself for things to ever change.
- Fear traps us from doing the things we really want to do in our lives and being the people that we really want to be.
- Ditch the stress. If your body is in chronic stress it cannot heal itself. This is easier said then done.
- People say some really dumb and insensitive things without even realizing it. I could write pages about the dumb things that have come out of people's mouths. It's made me really try and stop and think before I say things now. Or if in doubt I don't say anything at all.
- OK I know that I said 10 but this one is super important to finish on. People are also AMAZING. Kindness exists everywhere and you would be amazed at the selflessness of the human spirit that is there in some people. I have been humbled.
My final reflection just because I couldn't close out the 12 weeks without referencing it somewhere:
- Sauerkraut is both amazingly beneficial and disgusting at the same time. The only thing I eat in my life that I cannot stand.
The 12 weeks is now up and I have my PET scan happening this coming Monday. Next week will mean I find out if I still have cancer. The time has gone really quickly but it also seems like such a long time ago when I was that person that couldn't even stand or brush her teeth.
To be clear I'm not in any sense grateful for cancer, nor will I ever be, but I am grateful for the perspective it has afforded me. I'm so lucky - some people live their whole lives never having gained the insight into their lives that I now have. Cancer has just become part of my journey, whatever happens next week I truly believe that I am capable of dealing with anything and I just love my life.
Thanks for reading and being with me on my 12 week journey. So many of you have reached out to me throughout this process and wished me well which I am incredibly grateful for. It has honestly been overwhelming the support from everyone. Many of you have your own health journeys that are still ongoing and I wish you all the love and light in the world.
P xoxo
Love your 12 reflections. Very well written!
ReplyDelete